Pastor Sam Adeyemi
Text: John 14:15-18.
Marriage tests our character in profound ways. It is when we are pushed into the place of weakness that we realize how difficult it is to build our relationships on our human abilities. John 15:5
We were not designed to go through life with human abilities but through the power and grace of God.
It is our sinful nature that causes problems in our relationship. We need to rely on the Holy Spirit. When God steps in, miracles happen, impossibility loses its definition. Romans 8:26.
Deciding to marry and deciding who to marry are part of the most significant decisions we have to make in life. These decisions are important because they are strategic and are more about the future than they are about the present. John 16:13.
The Holy Spirit tells you about the future. Someone may be good for you presently but not right for you in the future. Let the Holy Spirit guide you.
As Christians, when we make the decision on who to marry and come together by revelation through the help of the Holy Spirit, we will realise our destinies are meant to be together to achieve God’s plans and purposes. 1Corinthian 2:9-10
The decision of who to marry is about the future.
How to seek the help of the Holy Spirit in making the right choice:
1. Cultivate an intimate relationship with Him. You don’t develop intimacy without proximity, spend time with the Holy Spirit in prayers and meditation. You don’t get close to someone when you give them leftover time.
2. Be a covenant conscious Christian. Obey God totally.
3. Suspend your brain and don’t suspend your brain. Listen to the Holy Spirit but define your values with your partner. You should share your most important values with who you want to marry. Hebrews 5:14
4. Listen to spiritual people around you. This helps in your decision making.
5. You must believe in miracles. Believe and yield totally to the Holy Spirit.