The joy of the christian life is found in Christ. Many Christians experience mixed feelings and negative emotions, for different reasons. The good news is that God will come through for us.
Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice!
Philippians 4:4 (NLT)
Apostle Paul wrote the above scripture while he was in Rome prison when death seemed to be the next possible situation for him.
How did Paul sustain his joy despite negative situations?
Paul found joy in Christ. He shifted from his human accomplishment to Christ, and that’s why he had joy.
Paul’s oneness with Christ was the most valuable thing in his life, and it became the core of his being, the centre of his joy.
Whatever happens, my dear brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord. I never get tired of telling you these things, and I do it to safeguard your faith.
Philippians 3:1 (NLT)
After all you’ve been through, the joy of the Lord is your strength. Whatever we have today that may be a source of happiness can disappear.
But like Paul, we need to place our joy in Christ.
Your joy should not be in material things like cars, houses, or other possessions, but your joy should be in Christ.
The human nature is prone to negative emotions. And if we don’t pay attention, the devil will take advantage of our emotions.
I would believe in their salvation if they looked a little more like people who have been saved.
~ Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche, a German Philosopher
In what way have we lost our joy?
Here are some ways that the enemy uses our life circumstances as tactics to steal our joy:
- When we fix our minds on things that are not working in our lives and comparing our lives with other people’s. 2 Corinthians 10:12 (NIV)
- When we fix our minds on past mistakes and then blame ourselves. Like Esau and others Characters in the Bible.
- When we fix our minds on the wrong things people did and say to us. Joseph could forgive his brothers, and God gave him a great future in Egypt.
Now that you know how your joy can be stolen, here’s how to find Joy:
- Real joy is in salvation. To be saved is a joyful thing. Romans 8:33 (NLT)
- There is joy in the world of God. Read the word of God often. Psalm 119:2 (NLT)
- We find Joy in the company of believers. Hang around joyful christians. Psalm 112:1-2 (NLT)
Joy will enter your family and life on a new level, in the name of Jesus.
This season, you will see God in a new way in the name of Jesus.
A sermon excerpt from Pastor Bolutife Oluyomi, Wednesday, December 14, 2022.
Watch the full sermon here: